Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Back in Alberta

Here I am back in Alberta in the computer lab with my students. I arrived last night at about midnight, and I didn't go to bed until after 1 am, so you can imagine I was kind of tired when my alarm went off at 6 am this morning!

Anyway, I'm really glad to be back. I was happy to go back to Montreal to see my uncles, aunts, cousins, and Granny, but it felt good to sleep in my own bed last night. Also, it was kind of a hard trip too because my Granny is 92 years old, and she had trouble recognizing me. It also made me a bit sad to be walking around Montreal and seeing all the old places where I used to hang out. Probably one of the reasons I was so sad was because I have finally realised that I'm not going to be moving back to Montreal. I think for the past 18 years (holy cow - I've been living in Calgary a long time!) I have been thinking I could always move back to Montreal. However, this trip, I finally realised that it is highly unlikely I'll ever be going back to Montreal. It's time to let go, and that's a hard thing to do.

So here I am back. Actually, my poor students, I told them today that the EAP program has found a new teacher to take over the class starting on July 2nd. That means they will have had 4 different teachers by the end of the semester! The problem is that the university needs me to go back to my "real" job (academic coordinator). Because of that, there is a new guy starting next week. I met him before I went to Montreal, and I think he'll be okay. It's always going to be hard coming into a situation where you are taking over from another teacher, but I know that my students are SOOOOOOOOO great that they are going to be perfect model students for him :-) Plus, I'll still be around helping out in the background. I won't totally abandon EAP 1!!!!!

Also, I know they are going to blog and comment lots before the end of the semester . . . right???

4 comments:

Gagan said...

i am so glad that u back, but u came realyy quickly isn;t it. I should go to the montreal probably in august. i hope u enjoyed there.

Amran said...

Dear,Scot
First of all, Welcome home. Secandlly, you never know if you well back to Montereal or not- never se never!.
Finally, we are all very sad becaouse you willnot be aou techer, but I am very hape for you becaouse you will back to work how you like. Enjoy in your life, and I wish to you what you wish for your self.
Amran

Amran

fatma said...

hi scott,
we are so glad to have you back to calgary, and sad to have you gone by july 2. and by the way, you never know what will be happenning in ten years from now. you might be enjoying your time in montreal by then..who knows =)

karina1004 said...

Hi Scott! I feel very happy that you've come back to class. I can understand your situation with your grandma because the same happens with mine, but that is a human normal process and we cannot do anything. About going back to Montreal it could be possible just if you really want to be there because life is like a circle. I am tired of having several different teachers in one semester. It drives me crazy. You're a very good teacher :)