Thursday, January 18, 2007

An Important Aspect of Academic Life



It's time to talk about an important aspect of academic life - going to the pub! This is a picture of my favourite pub in Calgary . . . can you guess where it is?


I hadn't gone to a pub in ages, but recently Calgary has gone totally smoke free in all bars in pubs, so I thought it might be time to try one out again. You see, I used to smoke. In fact, I smoked cigarettes for 16 years, but I finally quite for ever on April 17, 2003, and I haven't touched a cigarette since then. Because I don't smoke any more, I always avoid places where people smoke. That means that I could never go to the pub. However, now I can! As of January 1, 2007 all pubs and bars in Calgary are complete smoke free. It's so great because now I can enjoy pub food like the steak in the picture without having to worry about breathing all that nasty second hand smoke.


You know, I don't really like drinking either (I am the king of ginger ale), but at least if someone is drinking beside me, it doesn't really affect me the same way as if someone is smoking beside me. Anway, I really recommend that all my students try out the pubs here on campus (Dinny's Den) They have great food. They are a good place to meet new people, and remember, you don't have to drink. You can always order a ginger ale like me :-)

No comments: